Engineering Staff Ombuds
The Engineering Staff Ombuds serves as a neutral, confidential and informal resource who listens, offers informal guidance, provides information, offers options, seeks explanations and makes referrals.
- Operates to serve the best interests of A&M Engineering and its staff.
- Provides impartial and objective assessment as a neutral party.
- Serves as an advocate for fair administration of processes, but does not take sides on behalf of an individual or cause.
- Creates a safe environment for staff to voice concerns, evaluate issues and identify options.
- Respects the confidentiality and privacy, to the extent where additional individuals are to be involved to maintain a safe environment.
- Does not have decision making authority nor can the Staff Ombuds override the decision of others.
- Listens to issues while remaining neutral with respect to the facts.
Areas of Service
- Gather information and offer referrals to other resources.
- Facilitate communication.
- Identifies opportunities for systemic change for the organization and may make recommendations for institutional improvements.
- Assists in directing individuals to appropriate A&M Engineering and/or Texas A&M University System office as it pertains to an issue.
- Provides guidance in solving the issue.
- Assist in conflict resolution at an informal level.
- Refer individuals to formal grievance resources.
- Provides assistance in conflict management and resolution.
Areas of routine engagement include, but not limited to:
- Promote and coordinate employee engagement opportunities to provide interaction across Engineering divisions and departments.
- Interact with new employees as part of their formal orientation.
- On-site visits and interaction with A&M Engineering divisions and departments.
- Participate in meetings of established groups.
- Interact with various administrative groups and committees.
- Serve as a Non-Voting member of the Engineering Staff Advisory Council (ESAC).
Employee Assistance Program
Texas A&M University System has entered into an agreement with Deer Oaks Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Services to provide a variety of programs, counseling and resources at no cost to benefit-eligibile faculty and staff employees as well as their dependents/household members. Employees may receive up to 5 one-hour counseling sessions per year, per issue, per year.